Vestibular disorders, or vertigo, involve the bones and crystals in the inner ear. When the crystals in the balance center of the inner ear are displaced, an individual can become dizzy or have the sensation that they are spinning. Although it is an optical illusion, symptoms can be so severe that the individual can’t move their head or body without making things worse. Your physical therapist will perform testing to determine if your symptoms are linked to an inner ear problem. Your therapist will then prescribe a treatment plan to realign the crystals through various specific motions. Most patients react very favorably to this proactive approach in lieu of often prescribed bed rest and medication.
Treatment Techniques May Include:
- Balance retraining and balance strategies: helping the body to regain balance through a variety of exercises and techniques.
- Sensory organization techniques and gaze stabilization strategies: helping the body to use its senses to overcome dizziness and decreased balance.
- Habituation exercises: helping the body to decrease dizzyness by repeatedly exposing it to a stimulus.
- Canalith Repositioning maneuver: a maneuver performed by the therapist to manipulate the calcium crystals found in the inner ear.
- Individualized home exercise program: an exercise program patients can do at home, based on each patient’s individual needs.
Please contact us to schedule an appointment or, if you need to ask any questions.
We look forward to hearing from you.
To send us an email, please complete this form. (* required fields)