Last month we discussed the value of exercise for arthritis of the hand and the clinical research behind it. This month we want to share three more common problems at the elbow and wrist and what you can do first to recover from any one of these conditions. We think you’ll be surprised to find that surgery and injections aren’t the only options if you have one or more of these problems. Click here to learn more.
Dealing with Pain Medications Safely
Opioid medications are powerful substances that need to be managed properly. Here are eight tips to help you better deal with pain medications.
- Ask if there are ways besides opioids to relieve your pain.
- Make sure your healthcare provider knows about all other medications you are taking.
- Let your healthcare provider know if you or others in your family have had any problems with addiction to alcohol, prescription medications, or illicit drugs.
- Ask about the risks of taking an opioid.
- Ask how to take the opioid and how long you should take it.
- Never use alcohol when taking an opioid.
- Store opioids in a safe place out of sight and out of reach of children, preferably in a locked cabinet.
- Dispose of leftover prescription medicine quickly and properly.
Recipe of the Month
Here’s a healthy snack that will add some zest to vegetables or some whole grain crackers - Green Pea & Parsley Hummus. Healthy, tasty and worth a try. Let us know what you think.
Click here for the recipe.
The Power of Herbs
Are you thinking of trying an herb to improve your health? Find out about the uses, effectiveness, and possible side effects of herbal products before you try them.
The National Institute of Health has a great app called “HerbList” which can help you decide what is right for you.
Click here for the iPhone app.
Click here for the Android Google App
Exercise of the Month
Here are two easy and comfortable stretches to keep the forearm muscles relaxed.
Wrist Extensors Stretch
Wrist Flexors Stretch
Don’t miss our video message. If you have any questions, please let us know. If you know anyone that can use our help with some hands-on, natural treatment for their aches and pains, make sure you have them give us a call.
Until Next Month,
Thanks from Eric Edelman BS,PT
Peak Physical Therapy and Sports Performance