Individuals that are involved in motor vehicle accidents can have a lot of pain afterwards. In a motor vehicle accident, the impact typically causes a quick and forceful flexion-extension motion of the body that pulls and strains the muscles, tendons, joints and ligaments. Research suggests that receiving physical therapy in the early or late stages of a motor vehicle accident will support long-term recovery for pain, range of motion, and function. Ideally receiving early care is helpful to minimize inflammation and facilitate the correct position and alignment of the joints and soft tissue of the body. This allows a more efficient and rapid recovery and minimizes future complications from the injury.
At Peak Physical Therapy, our physical therapists begin with reducing the pain through various techniques and modalities, and then start actively moving the muscles and joints within an appropriate range. This helps increase circulation, heal inflamed connective tissue, and helps to prevent long-term loss of muscle function.
Some of the common diagnoses we see after a motor vehicle accident include:
- Herniated Discs
- Wrist and leg fractures
- Rib Injuries
Our individualized treatment plans include:
- Protection, rest, ice or heat
- Gradual stretching to increase range of motion and muscle length
- Stabilization and postural awareness to improve alignment of the body.
- Gentle strengthening and conditioning to avoid stressing the areas that are healing.
- Soft tissue massage, mobilization, and strain-counterstrain to improve movement and decrease pain.
- Modalities to reduce inflammation and pain such as electrical stimulation, ultrasound, and cold laser.
Please contact us to schedule an appointment or, if you need to ask any questions.
We look forward to hearing from you.
To send us an email, please complete this form. (* required fields)